Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Hot Mess but NOT Intimidated

Anyone CAN Homeschool
Even though we're homeschooling this semester/year/pandemic, I stayed in the Facebook group for complaining concerned parents in our school district. Between comments on FB posts in the group and a few things I've heard from friends who decided to homeschool like we did, there is a LOT of misinformation (and some blatant lies) being told and assumed about homeschooling. And honestly, I'm super pissed about it. I'm sure people are trying to be helpful, but instead, they are using scare tactics to intimidate parents from making the decision to homeschool. I, for one, will not be intimidated by people who may or may not have or currently work for the district giving me "advice" on homeschooling and the "rules". 

(PLEASE NOTE: We are in Texas, so these are Texas Homeschool Requirements. Please make sure to check the requirements in your state. Here is a great resource: https://homeschoolstatelaws.com/

Minformed #1: [an actual comment on a concerned parent's post on the extensive at-home learning schedule] "Please, for the [...] counselors, make sure you are enrolling in a [sic] ACCREDITED program. Because if/when you re-enroll in public school the credits will not count and they will have to retake classes and the grade they are in may change to a lower level grade"
Truth: NO! No state requires that a homeschool program, curriculum, or diploma be accredited. There are public schools that aren't "accredited". Curricula aren’t accredited because they aren’t schools or colleges. Curricula are learning resources or lesson plans; curricula are not institutions—so, they can’t be accredited! Would you call a textbook publisher and ask them for accreditation? I didn't think so
Transferring back to public school from an "accredited private school or accredited online school" is still no guarantee of grade placement or credits toward a public school diploma/graduation. The district may or may not recognize the accreditation agency that accredited your learning program or private school, so accreditation alone offers no guarantees. The district MAY have a list of pre-approved online schools or private schools from whom they will accept credit, but that doesn't mean its accredited. More about accreditation: https://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/is-your-curriculum-accredited-does-it-matter/ 

Misinformed #2: You have to come to the school to fill out withdrawal forms for your child(ren)
Truth: Again... NO! And not just no, but DO NOT! If your child is already attending a public school you must officially withdraw your child by sending a withdrawal letter to your school/district. If the school asks for additional measures: do not go to the school. Instead, respond by email or mail with a letter of assurance. Basically, this letter says "I promise I'm going to teach my kids. Stop asking me for stuff. Buh-Bye" 

Misinformed #3: My kid's school requires a report card.
Truth: Again, nope. The Texas Homeschool Law does not require you to keep records of your homeschooling, although the state of Texas encourages it. If the school asks for it, you can simply say "I do not have those records since there is no state requirement to keep them." But if you want to keep a record, go for it! It'll probably make returning to public school (if that's your plan) an easier transition. There are all sorts of homeschool report card templates out there, find one you like and use that. It doesn't even have to be anything fancy. 

Misinformed #4: The school/district needs to know my plan/lessons/curricula/grades.You have to check-in with the school/district every 9-weeks.
Truth: No, they don't. The school district also has no authority to approve (or disapprove) curricula used by private schools (including your homeschool). There aren't any reports about your homeschool or curriculum that you are required to share — either locally or on a state level. Straight from the mouth of TEA - "The TEA does not regulate, index, monitor, approve, register, or accredit the programs available to parents who choose to home school."

Misinformed #5: Colleges don't want homeschooled kids. / They're going to have such a hard time getting into a good college.
Truth: My kids are still in elementary so I'm not worried about college just yet, and I went to public school (whose counselor ended up telling me I was too dumb to go to Texas A&M). BUT Beckie was homeschooled and has some personal insight on this one...Beckie here! I was homeschooled from 7th grade and through high school. When I was looking at colleges, there were many scholarships specifically made for homeschoolers. In fact, I ended up at my university partly in fact because they had a recruiter dedicated to looking for homeschoolers and offering them scholarships. So, I guess we were doing something right!

And here are a couple of the websites I visit to find the answers to questions I (or my friends) may have:
Texas Homeschool Coalition - Requirements to Homeschool in Texas - https://thsc.org/requirements-to-homeschool-in-texas/

And lastly... if you're just overwhelmed or confused or feel attacked, JUST ASK US. We may not be experts, but we can help you find the right answer (or at least articulate a snarky response). 

No comments:

Post a Comment